This workshop addressing plans that we should make as we age consists of six non-consecutive Sunday sessions starting September 18, 2022 at 9:45am. Each session will be led by an expert in the topic of that particular session. Participants may attend all, or just some, sessions.
September 18 – Theology of Aging and Dying
- How should we think about growing older each year?
- What are the delights and sorrows of various seasons of life?
- How is growing older an opportunity to grow in my faith and bless others?
- Is there anything I can do to make my death a blessing to others?
- What do I need now to deal with my fear of growing old and/or dying?
- What creative ways have I passed on my blessing to my family (Autobiography, faith statement in will, sharing hopes for funeral/memorial, leveraging finances for family and faith)?
October 2 – Final Stewardship Strategies
- What is a will? Do I have one? Do I need one?
- How much should I leave to my family members and how much to the church?
- What is the COS Apple Tree Society and how can I participate?
October 9 – Final Health Directives
- What is a power of attorney? When is it helpful? Does it continue after I die?
- What is DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order and should I use it?
- What possibilities exist with organ donation? What does it involve?
October 30 – Holy Places
- Retirement Centers
- Hospice – at home care as well as residential buildings
- Rehabilitation and Nursing Centers
- How do finances work with all of these places of care?
November 6 – Planning your “Celebration of Life”
- Choosing Scripture and songs that are meaningful
- Talking through the role of the funeral home
- Differences between burial and cremation
- Understanding the COS Columbarium
November 20 – Wrap-up/Making a Plan
- Miscellaneous Questions
- “Financing the Finish” or “Who Pays What?”
- Create action list:
- Make sure you have a will and that it’s updated.
- Make sure you have memorial wishes on file with church.
- Decide if you’d like to participate in the COS Apple Tree Society and fill out form.
- Decide if you’d like your cremains to reside in the beautiful COS Columbarium and take appropriate steps.
- Fill out DNR paperwork and end of life directives.
- What else?