Lent & Easter
A 5G Connected FaithCOS LENTEN JOURNEY 2022
In times of turbulence, change, and uncertainty, it’s empowering to clarify the basics. When it’s almost impossible to forecast the “new normal,” it’s comforting to celebrate what God offers as the building blocks for joy and life in all situations.
In our culture, “5G” is the premier level for quality communications. 5G stands for “Fifth Generation.” But God’s people throughout all generations find blessing in 5 key faith dynamics Jesus modeled for us that promote excellent connection with God and God’s people. They are the 5Gs: groups, gifts, grace, growth, and gathering.
“Lent” comes from an old English term meaning springtime growth. So, let’s grow this Lent by exploring the 5Gs with friends old and new. Throughout the 40 holy days of Lent (Ash Wednesday, March 3 through Easter Sunday, April 17), we’ll explore the 5Gs Jesus-followers lean into for a 5G Connected Faith. Here’s how:
- Worship regularly with us on Sundays and listen to the sermon which explains one of the 5G Connections.
- Read the periodic email devotionals that will be sent to you (also posted at one of the links below).
- Watch the midweek Wednesday devotional which includes music and a testimonial from one of our COS family about one of the 5Gs.
- Participate in a “5G Connection Group.” These are 30-minute conversations with clusters of at least 5 friends, during which time you’ll share your opinions on the “G of the Week.” While many 5G Connection Groups will meet via Zoom at 7:30pm each Wednesday, they can really meet anytime Wednesday through Saturday. Contact Barbara Anderson at [email protected] to sign up for a 5G Group or get help launching your own. Leaders will be equipped with discussion guides.
- Pray for our congregation, the world, and our 5G Connected Faith Lenten Journey each day at 1:01pm (since our address is 101 N. Peachtree Parkway)
Looking forward to strengthening our 5G Connected Faith with you!
Fritz Wiese, Senior Pastor
Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church
5G Connection Groups
CONNECTING MINISTRIES & WEEKLY SMALL GROUPS: Barbara Anderson
Welcome to the season of Lent at COS. Please watch your emails beginning on Monday, March 7, for a meaningful devotional that will make you feel connected and place you in the spirit of the season. Would you like to subscribe to our COS emails? Please click here.
Another really wonderful way to CONNECT your mind and spirit during Lent is to join a 5G Connection Group - a 5-week study group. Each week, the Sunday sermon and the midweek worship will focus on the 5G's: Groups, Gifts, Grace, Growth and Gathering. For midweek worship, a video devotional will be sent via email and posted to FaceBook and Youtube on Wednesday. We invite you to gather with a small group of friends or join a group for a brief (about 30 minutes) discussion on Zoom or in person, however your group feels most comfortable. These groups can meet any time after the email is sent out Wednesday mornings and folks have had time to watch the midweek service. Interested in being a small group leader for this short 5-week study? A study guide will be provided to you. If you are interested in joining a group or have other questions, please contact Barbara Anderson at [email protected] or click on the button below.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY: Ingrid Hudson
Children's ministry looks forward to teaching all the stories leading up to Easter in Sunday School and, of course, the miraculous story of Easter! Join us each Sunday at 9:45 in the sanctuary!
Parents, also be on the lookout for information on Lenten small groups, both in-person and online groups will be offered this year.
Finally, don't miss the Eggstravaganza for children and families- ALL AGES WELCOME!! This is our second Eggstravaganza and will include eggs, crafts, candy, slime and more!! It is from 4:00-5:00 on Saturday April 16 with an outdoor Easter vigil to follow from 5:00-5:30! [email protected]
MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL YOUTH: Pastor Miriam Beecher
Middle school youth will continue their Confirmation program through the weeks of Lent, while the high school will focus on gathering and making connections. Both will use the 3Fs - Food, Fun, and Friends!
We would love for your student to join our group! Please join us any time during the Lenten season! The adults are invited to their own 5G Connection groups as well. For more information, please contact Pastor Miriam at [email protected]